tracking pixel

Inheriting and/or disposing of firearms

Nov 1, 2013 | Campaigns, Home & Community Safety, National Community Safety and Crime Prevention Month

The RCMP’s Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) provides instructions if you inherit a firearm you do not wish to keep, or if you have a firearm you no longer want.  In these circumstances, you have the following options:
  • Sell or give the firearm to any individual, museum or business with a licence to acquire that particular type of firearm through the official transfer process; or
  • Export it to a country that allows it. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Development (1-800-267-8376) can provide information on export permit requirements. For restricted or prohibited firearms, an Authorization to Transport (ATT) is required and can be obtained from the provincial or territorial CFO; or
  • Have the firearm permanently deactivated by a gunsmith so it no longer meets the definition of a firearm and is therefore exempted from the requirements of the Firearms Act; or
  • Surrender the firearm to a police officer or a firearms officer for disposal. These authorities must be contacted beforehand.
If you inherit or receive a firearm you want to keep, but do not currently have the proper licences, visit the CFP’s website for detailed information and instructions.


For more information, please contact: Catherine Gaudreau Communications/Media Program Coordinator (613) 739-1535 (ext. 228)   Main: Keep your community safe – It’s your responsibility! 2013 NCSCPM Campaign Supporters Community Responsibility Firearms Facts Firearms Thefts Self Harm
<p><script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->var p="http",d="static";if(document.location.protocol=="https:"){p+="s";d="engine";}var z=document.createElement("script");z.type="text/javascript";z.async=true;z.src=p+"://"+d+"";var s=document.getElementsByTagName("script")[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(z,s);<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->// ]]></script><script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->var ados = ados || {};<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> = || [];<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> {<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->/* load placement for account: Multiview, site: CANSCweb - Canada Safety Council - MultiWeb, size: 160x600 - Wide Skyscraper, zone: CANSCweb - Skyscraper - 160x600*/<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->ados_add_placement(4466, 113700, "mvSky", 6).setZone(127131);<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->ados_setDomain('');<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->ados_load();<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->});<!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] -->// ]]></script></p><div id="mvSky" style="text-align: center;"></div>