Safety Tips for a Happy Holiday
1) Practice safe food handling:
- Thoroughly wash fruits and vegetables before serving them.
- Avoid cross-contamination of prepared food with raw food. There’s no need to rinse poultry before cooking — that just splashes germs everywhere. Use a paper towel to blot dry your bird.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure you’re cooking meat to the right temperature.
2) Prevent falls:
- Ensure walks are promptly cleared of snow and ice. Purchase and use plenty of sand/salt for the task.
- Mind the ladder while you decorate and move items to and from storage. Use ladders on dry, sturdy, flat surfaces and maintain your centre of balance. Avoid storing bulky, heavy items up high.
- Keep hallways and stairs well-lit and free of clutter.
3) Don’t get burned in the kitchen:
- Don’t leave grilling, frying or broiling unattended.
- Keep cooking surfaces clutter-free
- Order in if intoxicated.
4) Mind the kids:
- Keep guests’ purses and bags are out of reach.
- Ensure clear communication about who’s supervising and when.
- If you have very small children, avoid glass ornaments, and small ornaments that could be choking hazards.
- Buy gifts that are age appropriate.
5) Socialize responsibly:
- Hosting? Have a good selection of non-alcoholic beverages on hand.
- Make sure everyone has a safe route home.