Celebrate My Drive – Be the KEY to safe driving
Enter the Canada Safety Council’s contest to WIN $300! In 50 words or less, tell us how you make safety behind the wheel your top priority. Must be ages 14 to 19 to enter. Email your response to email@example.com. Include your name, mailing address, age and school. Contest closes Nov. 29, 2013. Winner will be notified in early December. All entrants, while quantities last, will receive a USB key with the safety message “Be the KEY to safe driving.”
Learning to drive can be one of the most exciting times in a teenager’s life. But the freedom that accompanies a driver’s licence comes with the responsibility to learn how to safety navigate the road ahead.
To help new drivers, the Canada Safety Council is pleased to partner with State Farm® and the “Celebrate My Drive™” campaign for the second year in a row, in support of safe teen driving in our communities.
The campaign, which runs from October 18 – 26, brings together the entire community to help raise awareness on teen driver safety.
The Canada Safety Council offers the following tips to encourage safe driving among young motorists.
- Walk around your vehicle before entering it to check for hazards.
- Make adjustments to your seat, mirrors, ventilation system, lock doors, secure any loose objects and put on your seatbelt before you start driving.
- Don’t text and drive. Texting while driving increases your chances of being in a collision by 23 times. Find a safe place to pull over if you need to send a message or make a call.
- Never operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication.
- Being drowsy also impairs your driving abilities! Drive only when rested.
- Take driver training courses.
- Drive defensively.
Celebrate the milestone of learning to drive and remember that prevention through education and awareness is the key to safety.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Communications/Media Program Coordinator
(613) 739-1535 (ext. 228)